Saturday, October 29, 2005

What do the participants say about expertise?

This is what Lisa said.

R - So what do you think is a technological expert?

L - Um, an expert in technology? [laughs] Yeah, I don't really know.

R - Um, so do you consider yourself to be an expert?

L - For my age group probably, yeah, but there are other brainier people in my age group that would be a total whiz on the computer [giggles]. But yeah, but I'm pretty average.

R - So what do you think is expertise?

L - Something you're an expert in? [we both laugh]

R - Um, what about if you described your expertise in computers? How would you describe it?

L - Just like knowing how the computer works really and knowing what I want to do on the computer and get it done, yeah.

R - Cool. Do you think there are different levels of expertise?

L - Mmmm [agreement]. Yeah. Cause like you'll be just starting off, or you're in the middle, or you're at the very top so I guess there's heaps of different levels, yeah.

R - So how do you, what's sort of the path that you took to becoming a expert in computers?

L - Um, just really fiddling around on the computer and just learning from that, yeah [giggles].

R - How much time do you think you've spent, sort of looking round?

L - Heaps [laughs]. A very long time. Yeah, I used to come home every day and would play on the computer, and listen to some music, mmm, about three years.

R - Oh ok. So it's something that basically every week day you've done for a long time, for a couple of hours at least?

L - Yeah, 2 hours. Mmmm.

R - So is it kind of like that you are finding out new things or what you can do?

L - Yeah, or just like checking any updates on like sites that I might go to, or download some new music or yeah. Probably print out something for friends and make CD's for friends.

R - So do you think other people could become an expert like you in the same way that you have?

L - Yeah, it's like possible, cause I learnt from like fiddling around, so other people would be doing it, cause my dad's done it. Yeah, he's the worst. He's got heaps of viruses on his computer cause he's just playing round on it, like I do, but yeah, so he's not too bad [laughs].

R - So do you think school helped you to become an expert in using computers?

L - Not really [giggles]. Cause I'm using my spare time on there really, at home. Mmmm.

R - So, last question, how important is it to you to be an expert computer user?

L - Um, I don't think it's that important, but it's always good having some knowledge of computers or technology. Cause we're not left in the dark. Yeah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home