Thursday, January 19, 2006

Something I thought I should add

Take the following example out of Bourdieu, 2001. A man who dressed up as a woman . . . .
‘The more I was treated as a woman, the more woman I became. I adapted willy-nilly. If I was assumed to be incompetent at reversing cars, or opening bottles, oddly incompetent I felt myself becoming. If a case was thought too heavy for me, I found it so myself” (Morris, 1974, pp. 165-166) (p. 61).

Therefore, if a woman is believed to be incompetent of doing something, or not given the chance to do it, or if someone else is always there to do it, they’re not going to do it. This relates to the three boys who commented that girls may do ‘it’ (computers) later, because they don’t need to now, cause there’s others to do it, or they don’t see any point in doing it now, and it is likely they will realize they need to do it later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leonie said...

this is an interesting commrnt on the construction of identity; and on the way we are discursively positioned/read in order to perform certain roles. so cultural capital never exists in a vaccuum it always depends onn the body who carriesit. for instance, being very strong and muscular may be a positive thing for a male body,, but not for a female body. similarly, being an expert at computers may be a positive thing for a male body, but not for a female body. i think this nuancing of cultural capital will be an important point to keep in mind: that is, cultural capital isn't 'neutral': whether something is read as a positive thing to have/possess/do will also depend upon who is doing it. and that is tied to the way society constructs such things as gender race and class

1:43 PM  
Blogger Nicola said...

I think that what you've suggested here will be a critical point in my discussion on things gendered. Fascinating! Thanks. ;-)

3:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home