Saturday, February 28, 2009

The pressure of beauty

Recent media images have increased my concern about what is understood to be female beauty. Apart from a couple of celebrities who featured on the red carpet at the recent Oscars (Kate Winslet and Beyonce), the rife image of beauty is scrawny. At Hollywood's most eminent event, most looked decidedly emaciated and unhealthy. The definition in the arms suggests a very low body fat percentage. The demise of the bosom and curves perpetually provides an unachievable ideal of poor health. How can something be ideal if it is harmful to you?

This is a sad state indeed. These unattainable (well, it could be attainable for me if I exercised for 2-3 hours a day, and ate half of what I normally do) ideals are extremely problematic and something needs to change. I am not willing to pay the price for scrawny beauty, if it can be called beauty at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home