Saturday, October 29, 2005

This is what Charli said about expertise

When I asked her what types of people would create websites, i.e. how would she describe them, she said, "people who know their way about computers".

R - So what do you think is a technological expert?

C- Like, somebody that is confident with knowing their way around and stuff. Is that a right answer?

R- Well it's up to you. It's your opinion, so what you say goes.

C- Well yeah, I think that it's just someone that's confident, and they feel like they know enough about
what they do to like maybe show other people, guide other people. You know like, confident with trying new things on the computer and stuff. Me [giggles].

R- So do you think you are an expert?

C- I s'pose I am really. Like, I never used to think of like an expert like that, because I used to think that an expert was somebody that knows everything, but it's not really. I just think it is somebody that's confident, so yeah, I suppose I am.

R- Ok, so like we've already talked about y'know what you did and how, but in terms of being an expert, how do you think you became an expert?

C- It was over time really, just from like going onto the other links and sites and stuff and exploring really. Yeah, just exploring. And you learn with experiences.

R- Do you think other people might become experts in the same way you did?

C- Yeah. I think that's the like, easiest and quickest way to become an expert really. Is by just having the experience and exploring and stuff.

R- So it probably would be the opportunity to do it as well?

C- Yeah.

R- Like people who don't have computers at home, there's not much chance of them . . .

C- Not exactly [we both laugh]. Poor them. Deprived.

R - So who taught you how to use a computer?

C - Like Dad, like when we first got the computer. But like since I've been like an expert, or whatever, it's just like y'know you learn things as you go along, just like using your common sense, and when I first started becoming [an expert] it was like my friends. Cause they're quite expert.

1 Comments:

Blogger Leonie said...

another theme that occurs to me is the importance of thinking abot expertise as a process rather than a thing...so students getting to perform and practice is vital or them to develop not only expert skills, but belief in themselves as experts...

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home