Thursday, January 26, 2006

Joe's cultural capital

In my own pathway to understanding Bourdieu's theories, I miscomprehended scholastic illusion at one point, especially in the case of Joe.

Joe's places a lot of value on traditional ways of learning, and the attainment of academic qualifications. What I realize that he is now valuing is one of the types of cultural capital, that is, institutionalized cultural capital. Through attaining more of institutionalized cultural capital, he will be pursuing the pathway he wishes to take (astronomer), by investing in that form of capital.

I've read somewhere else - somebody calls this human capital. Attainment of quals. A simplified, and unsatisfactory take on things, now that I am 'getting' what Bourdieu is talking about.

One question - what chapter do I start writing now that I only have the literature review, methodology, and three data chapters to begin? !!

1 Comments:

Blogger Leonie said...

this is a great point. your understandingof capital has really developed. re what chapter. this is a good question. generaly i would suggest methodology in which you lay out what you are going to do. then that leads into the data 1 2 and 3.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home