Friday, May 18, 2007

Cellphones

Marshall McLuhan talked about the telephone being an extension of one's ear (media theory).

I sometimes wonder that with the cell or mobile phone, whether it would be considered an extension of one's arm, or one's eyes, or one's ears, or one's whole being?!!!

I have had 3 cellphones over the past 6 years, and I currently do not have one. I really LOVE not having a cellphone.

I'm not contactable at any time of the day. I have more privacy. I no longer get a 'fright' when a text comes through or a phone call.

It's liberating to NOT have a cellphone! I am glad it is not an extension of my body!

The only reason I think I need a cellphone is for safety, so if I need that, I'll use my husband's cellphone.

I'm amazed at how some people so totally rely on a cellphone and live for texting (SMS), phoning, video, etc.

I prefer email and instant chat/messaging, but still, I don't live for it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nicola said...

I wonder what email and computer usage would be considered to be an extension of?

10:23 AM  
Blogger Nicola said...

Isn't a cellphone just another thing to remember to take with me and attach to my body? Add this to the list of 'keys', 'wallet', 'sunglasses', 'lip balm', and 'water'.

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it important that people can contact you when they need to. Important messages sometimes need immediate action.

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home