Monday, June 30, 2008

The iPhone Conundrum

From extreme marketing’s expectations that we have the latest and the best, I seem to be succumbing to the desire to purchase the new iPhone 3G. This is somewhat abhorrent to me because as previously stated in this blog, I am disdainful of the role of mobile phones in this day and age. I feel liberated and free when I cannot be contacted. I often get a fright when the phone rings, and as I am almost always online at home and at work, I feel somewhat justified in expecting others to email me (or at the worst phone me) should they need to contact me.

However, the appeal of the iPhone to me comes in its ability to work as a personal digital assistant. It can easily sync with my MacBook™ and the touch screen is far more appealing than the Treo’s tiny keyboard and clumsy stylus.

The best reason I can think of having a mobile phone is for safety. The second reason is for its function as a diary that I can take with me anywhere. The third reason for me would be being able to access the Internet when I do not have my laptop with me. But will this be worth the daily annoyance of checking whether I have my precious phone with me or not.

1 Comments:

Anonymous John Larkin said...

Agree with your sentiments exactly. I lived without a mobile phone for 18 months prior to the purchase of my own iPhone 3G. I did not miss having the mobile phone.

In my previous job the boss used to contact me all of the hours day and night. Being called out to attend meetings at 9.00PM or even later.

Upon our return to Australia I was able to ease off on the mobile phone until it got to the point that when my wife's mobile phone bit the dust I simply passed my mobile phone to her.

if someone really wanted to find me they could call me on our landline or send me an email or, hop in their car, and pay me a visit. That is real.

Yet, the iPhone was there. I did eventually purchase an iPhone and it has proved a fantastic asset.

I no longer lug a laptop to and from work. I just carry the iPhone. I sync with the Mac at home and the Mac at work via Air Sharing. I support that with Drop Box. I can email links to files to students in a moment from anywhere. I can keep up with my synced feeds via NetNewsWire. I can post to my blog, Flickr and Twitter. Plus Skype. I have listed just a few of the practical apps.

The iPhone is a tool that facilitates connectedness.

Cheers, John

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home