Saturday, October 29, 2005

Jake, the expert in computers, lighting, and sound

R - What do you think is a technological expert?

J - Somebody who knows everything about their trade and stuff, like for me, I don't reckon anybody could be a technological, like a real expert at it cause there's always new stuff to learn. I suppose there is like a few guys who knows everything out there, like Bill Gates - he probably doesn't know - he's probably got goons to do it for him, but like one of the high up people, like computer programmers and stuff that are writing new software, I probably think they're more technological.

R - Oh ok. So, do you consider yourself to be an expert?

J - Um, not really. Oh, sort of but not really. Like I know a bit, but not all, type thing. I'm always learning new stuff off people, learning new things, and about products that are out, etc.

R - What about if I worded it 'for your age, do you consider yourself to be an expert'?

J - Um, for my age, I would. Like people, a lot of people have said to me, 'oh, you're probably one', we had a tutor come to our school from Tua Whakaari, and he said, 'oh, you're probably one of the best technical people for your age in New Zealand at the moment.' Which was really, I didn't even know him, he just came up to me and said 'I've heard about you, and you're probably one of the best technical people in New Zealand for your age'. And he said to me, 'you've got a good future ahead of you'. Gave me the eyes. It's like, whee, it's kind of the 'easy tiger' word came out.

R - Ok. So, you think expertise is . . . ?

J - My expertise . . .

R - Well, what do you think is expertise?

J - Probably knowing everything.

R - But you said before something like 'there's always new stuff to learn'.

J - Yeah, oh, probably not knowing everything, but knowing like basically, like having a fair idea of most stuff.

R - Ok. Do you think there are different levels of expertise?

J - Oh yeah.

R - So with Johnny, if he's up here, you are . . .?

J - He's probably up close to the roof, sort of thing. Well I've learnt most of my stuff off Johnny as well as church [INAUDIBLE], but most of my lighting stuff has been off Johnny. So every time I work with Johnny, I learn probably 20 more things off him. Johnny doesn't reckon I'm that far behind him. But I feel like I'm quite a bit. But yeah, he said to me at the last show we did, 'oh you're starting to get as good as me'. Which is like, yeah, pretty like, he's been my main person that I look up to when I do my lighting, etc.

R - If you met someone that was interested in sound, or lighting, or computers, do you think that they could become as knowledgable as you in the same way that you have, like, would they learn it the same way you have?

J - Um, I'm not too sure. Some might. But yeah, if somebody's, like if I know somebody that's interested and stuff, is like hanging around and stuff, I'll try my best to pass on what I know. I knew a couple of people who've learnt by just mucking around and seeing what it sounds like, without any proper training or anything like that.

R - Ok, so your expertise in technology, is that a significant part of who you are?

J - Yeah, pretty much. If I lost, like if I got brain damaged or something and lost all my technical information, I'd basically would be no one, because I'm known for my technical stuff. Yeah.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leonie said...

this is another interesting set of ideas associated with the link between expertise/cultural capital and sense of self and identity. i have to say i'm not an expert myself on bourdieu's take on identity. so maybe that's what we should focus on next week: both of us coming up with ideas about ways to speak abut identity via bourdieu?

8:06 AM  
Blogger alexbrown said...


Great article Lot's of information to Read... Great Man Keep Posting and update to People..Thanks

cloud computing experts

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home