Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Michelangelo

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo

I'm thinking of putting this quote in the introduction to Chapter 4 - the data from the field.

Then putting this paragraph at the end of the chapter.

The quote from Michelangelo reflects his commitment to mastery (expertise) through his hard work, and consequent time commitment. These teenagers display a commitment to mastery (expertise) and a consequent time commitment also, but do not view what they are doing as work, and therefore do not consider that what they are doing is wonderful, whereas people who viewed Michelangelo’s works did.

2 Comments:

Blogger ailsa said...

Your own hard work seems to me to be mastery in progress! What a great quote for your topic. I am in awe of how others seem to present their thinking so clearly, in academia, the norm is to present finished product without seeing the rewriting and the work in progress, so thanks for putting this out into the open.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Nicola said...

Ailsa - thank you for your comments. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you for your compliments. I assure you that not all my thinking is clear!

2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home