Saturday, October 29, 2005

This is what Chris said

R - So you first started off with games, and that's carried right through.

C - It's worked me towards different programmes, like Word and Excel, those type of things. At school I learnt about a graphic programme. That really got me going at school, because I was surprised at how well I could just move about with it, how quickly I could learn, and I learnt about that for three years and in the end, I started teaching the teachers how to use that same programme which was quite astonishing, and then we got upgraded versions, and learnt that very quickly too.

R - So, what do you think makes a person a technological expert?

C - I think they have to have motivation, but they to have to have the need to want to do it, otherwise in the end, they're going to get quite bored, and not enjoy it, so you have to really want to do it, you have to know you are going to enjoy it really before you take it up, but what makes a technological expert? They need to yeah, you have to pick up the right skills, you have to search for those skills, search for the right people who are going to give you those skills, and sometimes it can just come out of the air by pure luck. But if you try and just try and make yourself shown, different people can recognize you and you will be able to pick up a few of those skills - thanks to them. And also if you have a dad as nice as mine [pause], it helps [smiles].

R - Your mum said before, that you often, she thought that you were good at computers because you often looked out finding out why, rather than just accepting.

C - Yeah.

R - So could you talk about that?

C - Well, I really don't know how I came to be like that, it's just what happened, it's part of my nature where I want to look into things because I really want to learn. I want to, with computing I found that, if I really want to know a programme and if I really want to know how to use something, I have to understand how and why it ticks, because it helps and I can relate to different things with that knowledge. So I've found that it's assisted me in lots of different, not just, lots of different ways, not just computing, like my mum's recently bought a new stereo and I've been able to help her with that. Like, maybe it's supposed to do that mum? Yeah!

R - Mmmm. Ok, so what do you think is expertise?

C - Expertise in level of computing - again you have to have motivation, so motivation would be one of those expertise. Knowledge of how computers work would be another one of those expertise. And um, hmmm, also a wide range of different programmes and knowledge would be perhaps one of those expertise. I think all of them put together, you'd probably be going on the right track, yeah.

R - So are there different levels of expertise?

C - Ooh yes. In any subject, there are many levels of expertise cause I mean, I think I've got expertise, a lot of people above me have more, and more advanced knowledge of how to do things, so they've got better expertise. Even people below me, they've still got a little bit of knowledge, so they've still got expertise in them, mmm.

R - So do you think other people can become experts in the same way you did?

C - I'm sure there's someone out there - cause in the end, it is a really big world, not a small world. And there's heaps of things going on, I'm sure that someone out there will have learnt computing exactly the same way that I have. Not right the same skill and everything, the same environment, but just like learning from their dad, going up to school, learning - yeah, it doesn't have to be the same programme either - just learning from a teacher and they can be pushed by motivation and all. Just all of that, I'm sure it could happen to someone.

R - Ok, how important is it to you to be an expert computer user?

C - I would say no, but in the end, it is extremely important to me to be an expert in something in your life. Computing just turned out to be my strong point really, and again, that's helped me work with new things, not experts at them, just experts at using different technological items. I mean like the [tape] recorder right now, I might be able to pick the help in a few seconds. Might be able to, but yeah. I see it as very important to me because its gonna, it helps me get through life in the end.

1 Comments:

Blogger Leonie said...

it seems like one easy one to enter into this analysis would be to link the notion of expertise directly to thenotion of cultural capital; with the particpants all defining slightly differently what the cultural capital of tech expertise is, and what it brings...this could bea theme for one chapter...

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home